Beginning this month local businesses in the Downtown Chinatown Honolulu area will host their very first Discover Art. Join them for an arts experience for all ages. For more information, please see the below Press Release.
DiscoverArt – Fun for All Ages in Downtown-Chinatown the Second Saturday of the Month
Every second Saturday of the month, “DiscoverArt” presents artists and performers stationed around the Chinatown community. Art-focused activities, such as drawing, painting, crafts, theatre, and music are interactive and suited for children to adults. DiscoverArt provides artists opportunities to share their craft and audiences to see, hear and touch different art forms. And the good news….it’s all free.
DiscoverArt takes advantage of the rich and diverse character of Downtown-Chinatown, both the old and new areas. For people unfamiliar with the Downtown-Chinatown area, DiscoverArt is an invitation to visit and experience first-hand the traditional Chinatown, while also discovering the new character and spaces. And for those familiar, it’s an excuse to come back on a Saturday and see what’s new and different. This month, DiscoverArt will span from the Hawaii State Art Museum all the way to Smith Street.
Visitors can find:
- A Bethel Street Craft Fair, live entertainment and Fine Art in front of Arts at Marks Garage
- Make-and-Take Art inside Arts and Marks Garage
- Improv at Arts at Marks Garage
- A showcase of Vietnamese art at Art Treasures
- Sidewalk Sale at Barrio Vintage
- Local fashion by Rumi Murakami at Ginger 13
- Fuzz Crochet at Hawaii Art Museum
- Sidewalk Sale and Trunk Show at House of Aria
- Pop Up Shop at In4Mation featuring Steve Nazar’s T&C Surf designs
- Hanafuda lessons at Louis Pohl Gallery
- Hawaii Dream Float Collective, a video of Hawaii artists, plus live music at Madre Chocolate
- Local art works and handcrafts at Next Door
- POP ART SHOP by Roy Venters at Pegge Hopper Gallery
Programs and maps can be found at each location. The event is free and is co-sponsored by Creative Arts Experience, Honolulu Culture and Arts District (HCAD), Aloha Graphics, and City and County of Honolulu. Contact: Sandra Pohl 808 226-4787 | firstname.lastname@example.org
What: DiscoverArt – A showcase featuring all varieties of the arts – from painting and drawing to crafts, music and live performances – along with sidewalk sales and treasure hunts
Date: Saturday, February 13, 2016 (and monthly the second Saturday of the month)
Time: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Saturday, February 13, 2016
Where: Throughout Downtown-Chinatown. Programs and maps at all participating locations
Audience: All ages, especially families